RCS Intercollegiate Basic Surgical Skills
Thursday, 20 December 2018, 8:15 am - Friday, 21 December 2018, 5:30 pm£575
This Royal College of Surgeons approved course is aimed at all surgical trainees who are taking up their first surgical position. Over two, highly practical days you will learn a range of essential basic surgical skills and techniques within a controlled workshop environment.
This course is designed to introduce you to safe surgical practice and techniques common to all forms of surgery. During the course you will learn about core skills in open surgery, electrosurgery and endoscopic surgery. Topics include:
- Safe operating techniques
- How to use a variety of surgical knots safely and effectively
- How to confidently handle and use surgical instruments
- How to handle tissues confidently with due regard to their unique properties
- How to use endoscopic instruments in a practical and safe way
- The practical, safe use of electrosurgery
You will participate in a variety of practical training sessions during the BSS course, including:
- Gowning, gloving, laying safe surgical knots and local anaesthetic management
- Tissue handling practice (including for infected and contaminated tissues), along with the requirements for differing tissue sites, such as skin, bowel or vessels
- Electrosurgery device usage
- Manipulation of endoscopic instruments in a 3D surgical environment while viewing a remote 2D image
- Visuospatial awareness, management of depth cueing and control of the ‘fulcrum effect’ during endoscopic surgery
This course is for F1, F2 and Core trainees taking up their first surgical position, but may also be suitable for Advanced Practitioners or for those who work as part of an extended surgical team - if you fall into this category, please contact the course organiser prior to booking.
BSS is an intensive, two day practical, workshop-led course. Before the course you will be sent the BSS handbook and DVD. This essential pre-course material will ensure you get the most out of every session.
During the course, each skill is introduced with an introductory presentation and a step-by-step demonstration, before you practice the technique in small groups. During this hands-on experience, you’ll receive continual feedback and assessment from our experienced faculty.
As the course has been agreed on an intercollegiate basis, trainees who successfully complete the course will be issued with certification which will be reciprocally recognised by all four Royal Surgical Colleges.
“Excellent (and patient!) tutors. Resources great. Will recommend”
“Thoroughly enjoyed the course. The facilitators were amazing - patient and methodical. Would go back for further courses”
“Excellent course, wide range of surgeons from different specialties to give feedback, felt able to say if I was struggling with something without feeling embarrassed about it and was able to get reassurance or be shown the right way to do something if I was unsure about my technique”.
In the event you need to cancel your place on this course, the following terms and conditions apply:
- If you have notified us at least 30 days prior to the commencement date of the course, your course fees will be returned minus a £50.00 administration fee. If you have received any course materials these must be returned prior to any refund.
Cancellation of your place within 30 days will result in a loss of all fees.