Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons Masterclass (NOTSS)
Friday, 13 September 2019£125
This is a one-day RCS Edinburgh accredited course in Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons, which is being specifically provided for trainees across all surgical specialities within Yorkshire (also open to trainees from outside Yorkshire). Invaluable for all surgical trainees and especially those with an interest in human factors and non-technical skills. A light lunch, refreshments and completion certificate are included in the course fee
RCS Edinburgh website for more details on NOTTS: https://www.rcsed.ac.uk/professional-support-development-resources/learning-resources/non-technical-skills-for-surgeons-notss
The course explores the framework, theory and research underpinning NOTSS and adverse events in surgery. The course uses the NOTSS taxonomy which allows valid and reliable observation and assessment of four categories of surgeons' non-technical skill: situation awareness, decision making, communication & teamwork, and leadership. Tools for enhancing these skills in the operating room will be discussed. At the end of the course delegates with be able to use the NOTSS taxonomy to observe, rate and provide feedback on behaviors in the operating room as well as understanding how NOTSS affects performance.
Surgical trainees (ST6+)
Priority will be given to trainees from Yorkshire. The Yorkshire deanery are funding Yorkshire deanery trainees in general surgery places. Please contact the Course Co-ordinator for the relevant code.
The non-technical skills which underpin safer operative surgery will be examined in detail with short talks, video simulated scenarios, audience response voting systems and facilitated small group discussions
- "An interactive, thought-provoking course which has richly improved my knowledge and will change my clinical practice, run by enthusiastic and extremely knowledgeable faculty"
- "Superb faculty, really good facilitation of small group work"
- "Excellent and relevant material. It was really refreshing to see these skills being healthily discussed amongst surgeons and encouraged. A great need for these skills to be incorporated into the culture. The references in the slides were relevant and robust. The facilitators were very knowledgeable, skilled and their delivery was great. "
In the event you need to cancel your place on this course, the following terms and conditions apply:
- If you have notified us at least 30 days prior to the commencement date of the course, your course fees will be returned minus a £10.00 administration fee. If you have received any course materials these must be returned prior to any refund.
- Cancellation of your place within 30 days will result in a loss of all fees.