- This event has passed.
Lumbar Puncture & Diagnostic Paracentesis (LP)
26 March 2019, 8:30 am - 1:00 pm£100.00
This half day course teaches theoretical and practical aspects of both lumbar puncture and diagnostic paracentesis, providing you with the knowledge and skills you need in order to safely prepare for and perform these procedures.
This course aims to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to safely prepare for and perform both lumbar puncture and diagnostic paracentesis procedures. During the course you will learn about:
- The rationale for undertaking each procedure
- The contraindications to undertaking each procedure
- The prior tests and checks required
- Equipment selection
- The anatomy of the lumbar puncture region of the spine
- The technique used in performing a lumbar puncture
- How to safely undertake an ascetic tap
- How to assess ascetic fluid to aid diagnosis
- On-going care requirements for patients during and following each procedure
This course is for F1, F2, Core & HST trainees who wish to develop and improve their lumbar puncture and diagnostic paracentesis procedure skills.
Regional CT1 & CT2 please contact Mandy Sedler ; firstname.lastname@example.org ,for code assistance.
This course combines face-to-face and online activities in a seamless and complementary flow of learning.
Prior to joining us on the day, you’ll be enrolled on to our bespoke Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) where we encourage you to access a range of pre-reading activities prior to attending the face-to-face session. Within this suite of resources we ask you to complete a short self-assessment to help us tailor the face-to-face session to your existing knowledge and skills.
During the face-to-face component of the course, you’ll have the opportunity to further deepen your learning by asking questions of our experienced faculty who will be supervising you as you practice both the lumbar puncture and diagnostic paracentesis procedures on our clinical skills manikins.
Once you have successfully completed all components of the course you will be issued with a Directly Observed Procedures (DOPS) certificate and certificate of attendance - downloadable via our VLE to add to your ePortfolio or use as evidence in your ARCP.
“This course had a relaxed atmosphere and we each had plenty of time to practice on the manikins”.
“The course was very useful and the approach of the tutors was friendly and supportive”.
In the event you need to cancel your place on this course, the following terms and conditions apply:
- If you have notified us at least 30 days prior to the commencement date of the course, your course fees will be returned minus a £10.00 administration fee. If you have received any course materials these must be returned prior to any refund.
Cancellation of your place within 30 days will result in a loss of all fees.